Friday, 28 April 2017

Friday First | Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara


Here we go with another super conflicting product; although seeing as Better Than Sex is meant to be one of the best mascaras around I was expecting bigger things.

Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara is a mascara that I have heard every single beauty blogger, vlogger, and just anyone who is everyone talking about ever since I started watching and reading anything to do with makeup. Just like the Urban Decay setting spray, Better Than Sex is something that I can easily pick up at Debenham's with no issue but I just never have. So while I was in Sephora over in Prague, and in that 'treat yoself' mood who could blame me for grabbing this mini while in the queue to pay? Can Better Than Sex fulfil all my "desire for lush, incredibly intense lashes"? Better Than Sex claims to be able to make "lashes... full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths" all in one application. Better Than Sex contains "film-firming Polymer for smudge-proof, all day wear", "acacia Senegal tree extract to nourish, thicken and lock curl in place" and uses "unique peptides for the deepest, intense black possible" (www.toofaced.com).

So Better Than Sex is definitely one of the best mascara's I've reached for in terms of it being a really intense black on my lashes, which is something I really look for in a mascara. Better Than Sex also gives me lashes that are super full with an incredible curl, so it definitely lives up to expectations and claims in that respect. Spoiler: that's where it ends. "Smudge-proof" is the biggest lie that this mascara will ever tell you; within an hour or two of wearing this mascara, I have the biggest shadows under my eyes. It will look like I've gone mental at rubbing my eyes when in reality I won't have even touched them. As well as smudging like there is no tomorrow it also flakes off throughout the day, again without me even touching my eyes, and I have flakes all across the top of my cheeks! Oh, and these will also end up in my eyes, which is not comfortable. Now before anyone says anything, I use mascaras that aren't waterproof and none of them do this to me and I've also tested Better Than Sex with a few different setting sprays and nothing makes a difference.

Will I continue to use Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara? This is still the mascara I'm reaching for on a daily basis. I'm so conflicted around this mascara, purely because I love how it makes my lashes look but I hate how easily it smudges and flakes on its own!
Will I repurchase Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara? Definitely not. £19 for a mascara that smudges and flakes on its own without me even touching it is not worth my money. This breaks my heart because it's a mascara that makes my lashes look so incredible!
Would I recommend Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara? Again, I'm in two halves about this. I'd highly recommend Better Than Sex for the way that it makes my lashes look, but then I'd also tell people to stay as far away from this mascara as possible if they don't enjoy a smudgy mascara or one that just flakes into your eyes.
Overall score out of 5? A 3. I love how my lashes look when I apply this mascara, and despite how easily it flakes and smudges this look really does last throughout the day. The curl doesn't drop my lashes and they still look as intensely black as they do when I first apply this mascara. But again, it just smudges all over my face and flakes off into my eyes. Ugh, no thanks.